EnviroStrat is an internationally recognised thought leader, adviser and project developer in the coastal, marine and blue economy sector.
We work with clients in New Zealand and around the world to identify opportunities and develop marine and coastal projects that generate economic value and contribute positively to social, cultural and environmental well-being.
EnviroStrat is a trusted blue economy advisor and developer, taking an ‘assessment to investment’ approach that understands the roles of government, philanthropic and private entities. We recognise that to create scalable, high quality, investable blue economy projects it is essential to develop innovative approaches to financing new initiatives. That is why our impact investment expertise and network of aligned entities is of such value to our clients.
- A robust methodology for assessing blue economy initiatives.
- Developed blue economy initiatives from concept to investment readiness.
- Executed impact-focussed projects.
- Led the writing team for Tai Timu Tai Pari Sea Change – New Zealand’s first Marine Spatial Plan.
- Led regulatory and policy development.
- Led independent reviews of multiple projects and programmes in the coastal and marine sector.
- Provision of world-class guidance on blue economy development, including methodology from ‘assessment to investment’.
- Identification and prioritisation of blue economy opportunities:
- Stakeholder engagement and analysis to understand aspirations and drivers in the blue economy.
- Mapping the ocean economy and determining baselines.
- Analysis of natural and human capital.
- Detailed analysis and development of investable projects:
- Investor engagement.
- Scenario analysis.
- Detailed due diligence.
- Financial modelling and deal structuring.
- Developing comprehensive investment cases.
- Securing and executing investment.
EnviroStrat is currently developing a range of coastal and marine initiatives, including:
- Marine infrastructure development.
- Establishing regenerative ocean farming in New Zealand.
- Leading research into restorative marine economies.
- Developing a protocol and market for blue carbon and nitrogen in New Zealand.
- Preparing investment cases for Māori aquaculture growth.
EnviroStrat CEO, Dr Nigel Bradly, is a globally respected thought leader in marine spatial planning and the blue economy. He was an invited keynote speaker on the Alignment between Marine Spatial Planning and Blue Economic Investment and also moderated and spoke in a session on Sustainable Use of Non-living Marine Resources at the UN Conference on the Blue Economy in Kenya in November 2018. He was also an invited speaker on Sustainable and Resilient Blue Economy and Marine Spatial Planning at the International Integrated Coastal Zone Management Conference in Chennai, India in July 2019.
EnviroStrat carries out project and programme management for a range of public and private clients, including:
The aquaculture sector is undergoing considerable growth in New Zealand and globally. EnviroStrat has led multiple projects in the sector in recent years for both public and private sector clients as well as iwi organisations.
Projects we have successfully led in recent years include:
- An Open Ocean Aquaculture Business Case for New Zealand Trade & Enterprise developing the case for offshore salmon farming in New Zealand.
- Business case, capital raise and ongoing management of the upgrade of Te Ariki Tahi Sugarloaf Wharf, the location for landing 90% of North Island mussels.
- Business case for the upgrade of Port Tarakohe in Golden Bay to accommodate a seven-fold increase in the mussel farming sector in Golden and Tasman Bay in coming years.
- Independent reviewer of the SpatNZ Primary Growth Partnership project.
- Investment case for an offshore mussel spat farm in Taitokerau on behalf of local iwi and industry participants.
In 2020 EnviroStrat acquired 50% of New Zealand’s largest specialist aquaculture consultancy Aquaculture Direct Limited (ADL) to grow our capability and experience in the aquaculture sector. ADL’s services range from strategic planning, feasibility studies and resource consents, through to marine farm development, monitoring and compliance requirements. ADL is also the largest independent contract manager of marine farms in the country.